PhpWebChecksum is a little php project which aims to provide the means to create checksums for whole websites to be able to monitor which files have changed, have been added or were deleted. A brief introduction can be found in my blog post checking websites for intrusions.
- a single php script containing all the logic can easily uploaded to any site
- no data is stored on the server, i.e. nothing is written or changed on your website.
- for each file on your site a SHA1 checksum, the file dates, owner and unix permissions are stored in an xml document
- the xml checksum list can be downloaded
- a locally stored (perviously downloaded) checksum list can be compared with the current state of the website
Known Bugs / Limitations
- The checksum list and the comparison are generated in memory only. While this is also a feature, the maximium memory size php is allowed to use limits the amount of files that can be checked and compared.